Should I Sue My Friend for Slip and Fall Compensation?

Person sitting in a chair, holding foot as if in pain.

If you slipped and suffered a fall while on a friend’s property, you may wonder whether or not you should sue them for the reimbursement of your medical costs. After all, you don’t want to hurt your friend’s feelings or damage your relationship with them.

While each personal injury case is different, there are some general guidelines you can follow if you’re having trouble deciding whether it’s worth it to sue your friend.

Will My Friend Have to Pay Out-Of-Pocket?

The short answer is no. Your friend will most likely not have to pay for costs associated with your injury as long as you file a claim with their insurance company.

Premises liability claims are typically compensated through insurance policies rather than directly from property owners. However, your friend may see an increase in their insurance premiums once your claim is paid out.

Is This The Only Way?

Before filing an insurance claim, it can be helpful to speak to your friend about your injuries and see if they would like to settle the costs associated to your trauma without involving their insurance company. Make sure any agreements you make are in writing so you have legal recourse if they decide not to pay. This may be a good way to retain your relationship without involving a third party.

If your friend decides not to settle without involving a third party, then it is in your best interest to file a claim with their insurance company.

Any Other Options?

In addition, civil litigation can sometimes be the best way to receive fair compensation for your injuries. If you don’t file a claim with your friend’s insurance company, it is possible you’ll have to spend money out of your own pocket for medical expenses and other costs.

If you sustained an injury while on your friend’s property, the accomplished attorneys at Kolker Law Firm are highly experienced in personal injury cases and may be able to help you.

Let us help you get through this complicated situation. Call Kolker Law Firm at (314) 684-8285 today.

Related Posts
  • Who Is to Blame for Injuries on Another's Property? Read More
  • Who Is Responsible for Dog Attacks? Read More
  • Haunted by Injuries? Spook-Proof Your Halloween Celebrations Read More