How to File Your Missouri Accident Report

close up of an accident report with a red "urgent" stamp at the top

Accident Report Requirements

Missouri has a set list of requirements for which accidents must be reported to the Driver License Bureau. The requirements include a one-year time limit, accidents involving uninsured motorists, and if injury, death, or property damage greater than $500 occurred. While there are many ways you can obtain an accident report, it is important to know the steps you should take in order to file one.

Where to Obtain a Report

Most accident reports can be filled out by the responding officer. If 911 was not called at the scene, you can get a copy of the form from:

  • The Missouri Department of Revenue’s website
  • Your insurance provider
  • Driver License Bureau
  • Any Department of Motor Vehicles or license office

What Information is Needed to File

A standard motor vehicle accident report will outline the state’s laws regarding when you need to file a report and the additional documentation that may be required for more serious incidents. Along with that, it will provide space for you to input:

  • Contact information of the vehicle owner and driver (your party)
  • Vehicle and insurance information of the other driver
  • Your insurance information
  • A brief description of the accident

The required forms will then need to be mailed to the Driver License Bureau in Jefferson City. Ensuring that you file your report in a timely manner will only be more beneficial for you in the long run if choosing to seek legal action for any injuries sustained.

It is also important to note that you can view and print any traffic report by visiting the Missouri State Highway Patrol website. This can be useful if an officer took the information at the scene and you need documentation for any insurance or legal claims.

Legal Questions? We Have Answers

Although filing an accident report in a timely manner is crucial for any motorist involved in an accident that resulted in injury — these reports do not constitute a lawsuit on your behalf from the state.

If you are seeking compensation for your injuries from the at-fault motorist, you will need to work with an attorney to take legal action. If you or a loved one are seeking representation for your accident injury, call (314) 684-8285 to speak with an attorney at Kolker Law Firm and discuss your options.

Related Posts
  • Kolker Law Firm Secures $150,000 Verdict in Car Accident Case Read More
  • Kolker Law Firm Client Wins $1 Million Settlement Read More
  • How Delayed Injuries Can Affect Your Claim Read More