Motorcycles can be an efficient and cost-saving method of transportation. On the other hand, you may just prefer to ride a bike to feel the wind on your face as you travel. No matter what your reason for using a motorcycle, the most important thing is that you remain safe while riding. As it is more common for motorcycle riders to experience serious injuries compared to motorists, motorcyclists need to take care to prevent tragic accidents.
What can I do to protect myself from accidents?
The best way for you to prevent yourself from being injured while riding is to pay attention to what you do that affects your safety. Both educating yourself on how to ride and paying attention to the road can go a long way in protecting you from potential accidents.
The most important things to remember when riding a motorcycle are:
- Wearing an approved helmet to reduce risk of head injuries
- Get a motorcycle license before riding and take regular motorcycle safety courses
- Avoid relying on friends to teach you, instead enroll in a professional training course
- Stay off your bike if you have been drinking
- Wear proper motorcycle equipment, such as a jacket, boots, and gloves
- Perform regular maintenance on your bike or bring it in for repairs
- Avoid lane-splitting, as most drivers fail to check their blind spots
- Learn how to avoid common road hazards
You can continue to prevent accidents by being in-tune with yourself, your abilities as a rider, and the current road conditions you will be riding on.
Being involved in a motorcycle accident can result in devastating injuries. Be sure you get the compensation you deserve by contacting an attorney at DeFeo & Kolker, LLC.